Please see our installation requirements and basic install and configuration steps listed below.
Also, we are more than happy to handle the installation and configuration process for you.
This normally results in a simpler and easier process for you. Give us a call at 1-877-615-9541.
–See our Current Windows Compatibility Requirement Details
–You will need to have a current CROSS Library Subscription in order to download and install the latest version. If your subscription has lapsed, you may order the CROSS Library Subscription (1 Year) at our Secure Online Store
–Your user account must have administrative authority (or be able to elevate) in order to do the following steps:
BASIC INSTALLATION STEPS:
1. Save the Current CROSS Library Installer to your desktop. When the download completes, you need to Run (or Open) depending on your internet browser prompt. You must allow it to run. You will need to click the “Install” button on two install wizards during the process. Alternate Link (Only use this if the link above fails to download.)
Note: The installation process may take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes depending on your system and various factors–please be patient. At times a prompt may hide behind the install wizard. You may wish to minimize the install wizard window in order to check for that possibility. You will be prompted to select ‘Single Computer / Client Mode’ or ‘Network Mode’ IMPORTANT: ONLY ‘Single Computer‘ mode is supported at this time. If you click ‘Network Mode’, you will need to reinstall again in order to repair the setting.
2. (Optional: Usually needed when moving from another computer) You may need to restore a backup from a FlashDrive or your Internet account. You may do so using ‘File/Restore .L17 file/from Disk…’ or ‘File/Restore .L17 file/from Internet…’
3. (Important) With your main database open, configure the default database by clicking ‘Help/Web Links/Use this as the default database’
4. (Optional: Needed if other users on this computer need to access the CROSS Library software) You may grant rights to any other Windows User Accounts that need access to CROSS Library on this computer using the ‘CROSS Library Helper’ cube-like icon in the System Tray (Notification Area) where the date and time are usually displayed. Right-click the ‘CROSS Library Helper’ icon, select ‘Admin/Advanced/Grant Required Access for Windows Limited User Accounts’ and wait for the system to display the prompt. It normally takes from 5 to 20 seconds, so be patient. When the screen displays, enter one user nam and click OK to configure that user. Wait for the SUCCESS prompt. Repeat this process for each user that needs access.
5. If everything seems to be working fine, we recommend that you delete the installer that you downloaded in Step #1. You will want to download the latest installer from our website if you reinstall at a later date. This allows you to pick up all of our improvements, compatibility updates, etc. that we have made during the meantime.
Note: If you are using our smaller downloads found on our Old Download Page, you will need to verify that your system has the latest Java installed. This is currently a requirement for only our smaller installers which do not include Java with the installer. See Install the Latest Java to update or install the latest Java for your system. The install links found on this page include Java require no additional steps to install or configure it.
If you have trouble installing or updating Java, we have found that at times this helps. Error 1714 often results due to (un)installer registry keys getting misconfigured relating to Java (in this case). The following utility is from Microsoft to help you resolve these issues. We recommend the automatic detection resolution method found in the following utility.
Microsoft Install / Uninstall Repair Utility
NOTE: If you use the manual mode in the above utility, you will need to select whether you are having an Install or Uninstall problem, then select the Software package with difficulty (Java in this case), and take the defaults from there.